Restaurants Closed During the Summer 2017
click here) This post may come as bad news, at least for "foodies" visiting Stockholm in July and early August. Many top tier restaurants (Michelin star, gourmet) close for a few weeks during the summer. This is mainly due to the generous Swedish vacation rules leading many top restaurants to feel that they can't offer excellent food & service with summer replacement staff. Another reason, perhaps, is that many Stockholmers leave the city during this period and there aren't enough visiting "foodies" to fill these types of restaurants to make it profitable to remain open. No businessmen in town either, wining & dining clients. At any rate, the good news is that there are a few which will be open all summer and several other top restaurants have some other options during these weeks... and you always have a plethora of other great restaurants (not listed here) in the city to choose from! Most of these restaurants are also closed during the big Midsummer holiday weekend (June 23rd-25th).
Michelin star and Bib Gourmand restaurants:
Michelin star and Bib Gourmand restaurants:
- Mathias Dahlgren- closed between July 14th and August 7th (both the Food Bar/Matbaren and Rutabaga).
- Frantzén- closed for relocation. Reopening on August 30th!
- Oaxen Krog- open all summer as normal.
- Oaxen Slip- open all summer... every day for lunch & dinner.
- Gastrologik- open all summer, as well as their more casual sister restaurant Speceriet.
- Ekstedt- closed between July 18th and August 3rd.
- Esperanto- the dining room is closed between June 23rd and August 3rd. Instead they open up their lounge with what they call their Dim Sum(mer) Palace where guests sit at a communal table. More about this in my next article. They have other restaurants in the house with different summer schedules... Råkultur is open all summer (only drop-in spots) and Shibumi is only closed between June 23rd and July 4th. Imouto is closed between June 23rd and August 3rd.
- Operakällaren- closed between July 9th and August 8th. Their more casual Bakfickan will be open all summer.
- Volt- closed between July 16th and August 14th.
- Sushi Sho- closed from June 29th to August 1st.
- Rolfs Kök- closed between July 2nd and August 6th.
- Den Gyldene Freden- open all summer.
- Lilla Ego- closed between July 9th and August 14th.
- Nook- closed between July 2nd and August 8th.
- Proviant Östermalm- closed between July 9th and August 6th.
- Ulla Winbladh- open all summer.
Other top rated restaurants:
- Svartengrens- closed between July 16th and August 7th.
- AG- closed between July 2nd and August 6th.
- Lux Day to Day- closed between July 16th and August 14th.
- Farang- closed between July 9th and August 9th.
- Adam/Albin- closed between July 16th and August 1st.
- Smörgåstårteriet- open all summer.
- Djuret- closed between June 22nd and August 14th. Instead they open up an Italian outdoor pork barbecue restaurant called Svinet (June 26th to August 12th).
- Pubologi- closed between July 2nd and August 3rd.
- Omakase Köttslöjd- closed between June 23rd and August 2nd. According to their webpage on August 3rd with their next phase "Flickan". Not sure right now what that means. We will see!
- Le Rouge- closed between June 22nd and August 14th.
- SMAK- closed between July 2nd and August 17th.
- Miss Voon- closed between July 23rd and August 13th.
- Publico- closed between July 9th and August 7th.
- Teatergrillen- closed between July 2nd and August 8th.
- Spritmuseum- open all summer as well as a great "beer pier" on the water (weather permitting).
- Fotografiska- their indoor fine dining restaurant is closed between June 10th and August 23rd. During this time they open an outdoor barbecue in front of the museum (from June 13th as long as the weather holds). Their café is open as usual.
- Wedholms Fisk- open all summer.
What this all means is that you need to plan a little ahead if you wish to dine at a top tier Stockholm restaurant during your summer visit and be aware that your favorite (or the one you read about) might not be open. However there are still many great restaurants open during these weeks as well as some restaurants that are open only during the summer months that are definitely worth a visit... so you won't go hungry! If you are staying at the Rival Hotel, contact me directly for help in booking any tables ahead of your visit. Our restaurant Bistro Rival is open all summer.