- Fotografiska (photography)- their two main summer exhibitions are Scarlett Hooft Graafland's "Vanishing Traces" (May 24th to Sept 8th) and Vincent Peters "Light Within" (May 24th to Sept 8th). Open late into the evening, great opportunity to squeeze in some more culture in your day.
Wilhelm Bendz, Familjen Waagepetersen, 1830 @Nationalmuseum
Photo by SMK, Statens Museum for Kunst
- National (classic art and design)- besides their extensive permanent collection of classic art and design, they do have temporary ongoing exhibitions, like "The Danish Golden Age" (until July 21st) and "Finn Juhl: Architectural Furniture Designer" (until September 22nd).
- Moderna (modern art)- several ongoing exhibitions, including Sharon Hayes "Echo", and Palmsteirna-Weiss "Vivid Scenes 1964-1984". They have one upcoming summer exhibition: Arthur Jafa "A Series of Utterly Improbable yet Extraordinary Renditions" (June 26th to Sept 8th).
- ArkDes (architecture & design)- besides their permanent exhibit on architecture in Sweden, this season they will also have "The Future Starts Here" (until August 4th) and you still have a few more weeks to see "Architecture Projects: Skeppsbron" (until June 9th).
- Millesgården (sculpture & art)- most people come to visit the beautiful sculpture gardens featuring the work of Carl Milles, but they also have a gallery with temporary exhibitions.The upcoming exhibition is "Lena Anderson's World" (June 19th to September 22nd).
Lena Anderson, 2004©Lena Anderson,
- Kulturhuset (mixed art)- in celebration of the 100th anniversary when women receievd the right to vote in Sweden they have an exhibition called "The Women in the Neighborhood" (until August 11th) looking at the women who lived in the area 100 years ago.
- Thielska Galleriet (Scandinavian fine art)- Their main summer exhibition is a celebration of the 150th anniversary of the birth of Norwegian sculptor Gustav Vigeland (June 15th to September 29th). One of the highlights of this museum is their permanent collection of the works of Scandinavian artists like Eugene Jansson, Carl Larsson, Edvard Munch and more.
- Prins Eugen's Waldemarsudde (Scandinavian fine art)- there are quite a few ongoing & upcoming exhibitions, like the work of photographer Yanan Li, highlights from their art collection and an exhibition looking at the artist colony Grez-sur-Loing (featuring 80 pieces of art from a variety of artists. See link above for more info and dates.
Sculpture in Nature @Artipelag
Photo by Samuel Lind. Jaume Plensa, "Ainsa IV" (2018)
- Artipelag (art in archipelago setting)- a little bit outside of the city, but in a beautiful setting in the archipelago. Their ongoing summer exhibition is "Sculpture in Nature" (until Nov 3rd).
- Liljevalchs (contemporary art)- their summer exhibition, "Anders Petersen - Stockholm" just opened and will be running until September 1st.
- Bonniers Konsthall (contemporary art)- closed for the summer, last day is June 16th.
- Sven-Harry's Konstmuseum (mixed art)- their summer exhibition will be Gösta-Adrian Nilsson "Sjömanskompositioner" (May 30th to Sept 29th). Don't miss visiting the replica of Sven-Harry's home on the rooftop of the museum with his art collection, as well as the rooftop terrace.
Skapelsen by Gösta Adrain-Nilsson @Sven-Harry's Konstmuseum
Photo by Per Myrehed