Visit to Thielska Galleriet (with Boat Ride)

Thielska Galleriet, in beautiful Djurgården park.
Speaking of getting out on the water, this past Friday I visited the art museum Thielska Galleriet with some friends and we took the commuter boat there. Taking the boat might not sound like that big of a deal, but it was actually the first time I took this ferry. I had seen the boat-stop out at the far end of Djurgården last summer when I was out on a walk. I remember thinking that I should really try taking the boat the next time I was heading to this area. I am happy that I got the chance. Usually I catch the bus, but a boat is always so much nicer!
I was actually at the museum just a year ago and wrote a blog article about the visit and the museum. So click here to get a good overview of the museum. I thought I would take this opportunity to write more about visiting my first museum that has reopened after being closed due to Covid-19, how to take the boat there and back and about what they will be showing there this summer.
The death mask of Fredrich Nietzsche with view of harbor.
When the corona pandemic hit Sweden, all indoor museums in Stockholm closed temporarily. Slowly but surely, they are starting to reopen... though all with restrictions in place for the safety of their guests. Click here for a full list of museums and if they have reopened or when they will be reopening. I try and keep it as updated as possible. Thielska Galleriet (or "Thiel Gallery" in English) reopened on May 14th after being closed for two months. We went to see the exhibition on the photography of Edvard Munch before it ended. On June 6th they will have a new exhibition called "Hidden treasures of the Thiel Gallery Collection" (until August 16th).
Lots of signs about keeping distance, with outdoor café. 
They do have special Covid-19 restrictions in place. I would say the most important are only allowing 50 visitors in at a time and making sure visitors stay an appropriate distance from each other. For the latter, besides having signs everywhere, they also have guards patrolling the premises making sure the guests follow the rules. Their café has also opened up outside with lots of space between tables. I have to say that it did feel safe and everyone followed the rules. Click here for more information on their restrictions.
Boat 80 at Nybroplan.
I usually take the bus from the downtown area here, whether I am going to visit the museum or go for a walk (a favorite walk of mine during the summer is to start here and walk all the way back to town through the park or on the shoreline). It used to be Bus 69, but now it is Bus 67. You can pick up 67 at either Odenplan or Karlaplan if you wish to stick with a bus. But I do recommend taking the ferry if you can. Nothing beats cruising through Stockholm harbor on a sunny summer day.
Pretty empty boat so good social distancing!
Boat 80 departs from Nybroplan in the downtown area every 30 minutes or so and travels out through the harbor before ending up in a suburb called Ropsten. To visit the museum, disembark at Blockhusudden which is about 30 minutes after leaving Nybroplan. The ferry is part of our public transportation so the same ticket/pass that you use for buses and subways works here as well. They are currently not charging anything for the boat ride (buses either for that matter) due to Covid-19 and keeping contact between the staff and travelers to a minimum. But this will change as the restrictions are eased. The easiest way to get to Nybroplan from the Hotel Rival is to take the subway, red line, four stations to Östermalmstorg and then walk a couple of blocks to the water.
Blockhusudden boat stop


Comments

Popular Posts