Archipelago Restaurant Svartsö Krog

Restaurant, nestled in a little glade off the road.
This was my first proper restaurant visit in many months for obvious reasons (with the exception of dropping in for lunch at Grinda Wärdshus last week)! However, as I have some extra time on my hands these days and I am looking for activities to do that feel safe, I have been taking more and more trips out in to the Stockholm archipelago to enjoy the great weather and wonderful outdoors. This time it was a boat trip to the island of Svartsö specifically to visit a restaurant that I have been curious to try for the past few years (but never had the time or opportunity): Svartsö Krog.
View from the terrace. Swedish summer landscape.
Svartsö is an island located in the central archipelago, about 1½ hours away by boat. The restaurant is found on the southwest corner, near to the dock Alsvik. Just like with the aforementioned Grinda, the easiest way to get to Svartsö is with the Cinderella boats. With the current schedule, the boat departs Stockholm on weekdays at 11am and arrives at Alsvik/Svartsö at 12:35pm. The return boat departs Alsvik at 3:20pm and you are back in Stockholm just before 5pm. This gives you almost three hours which is just about perfect for a leisurely lunch and stroll along the waterfront. Make sure you check the website for an updated schedule as these times may change later in the summer.
Outdoor seating
There are many restaurants located throughout the archipelago and most are simple and casual. Svartsö Krog is definitely one of the nicer ones. I had heard a lot of good things about the restaurant and many of my friends have recommended it. I had actually taken my parents here a few years ago but made the mistake of not checking their opening hours and chose a day when the restaurant was closed! Live and learn. This time, my friends and I made a table reservation to be on the safe side... though it seems that they are open daily for most of this summer.
Aspargus... delicious!
While I said that Svartsö Krog is one of the nicer restaurants in the island, it is still quite laid back with a decidedly archipelago vibe. It is the cuisine which makes this restaurant "nicer" and earned it a recommendation in the White Guide. I would say that the menu is based on fresh, seasonal ingredients... Swedish/international with a modern flair. We sat on their large outdoor terrace, with views over the water and forest. It was a hot day so it was nice to sit outdoors and enjoy the breeze (lots of space between tables). I had the boquerones on grilled bread for a starter and then some delicious grilled green asparagus for my main course. A perfect summer lunch!
There is indoor seating if the weather isn't cooperating
After lunch, we really only had about 30 minutes before our boat departure. We walked along the tiny harbor, had a look in the general store and took a short walk along the waterfront. And, as I have mentioned in earlier posts about visits to the archipelago, the boat trip is part on the overall experience! I would definitely suggest booking a table in advance through their website to be sure. If you will be staying at the Hotel Rival, you can contact me and I can help you make the arrangements. Click here to see Svartsö Krog's Instagram page for further inspiration! And click here for other restaurant recommendations from my blog.
A swim after lunch? Bring your swimsuit!
Waiting for the boat...
...maybe time for an ice cream?
Right on time!


Comments

Popular Posts