Summer Art Exhibitions 2022
|Sculpture in Nature at Artipelag|
Stockholm has many great art museums, both big and small. If you are coming to Stockholm this summer, here is a list of the main art museums and what they will be showing. If art isn't your cup of tea, then there are many wonderful museums focusing on history that shouldn't be missed as well!
- Fotografiska (photography)- several great summer exhibitions including The New Black Vanguard (until Oct 2nd), Somewhere Ethereal (until Aug 21st) and Andy Warhol Photo Factory (until Aug 21st).
- National Museum (classic art & design)- Besides their wonderful permanent collection which always has free admission, they have several temporary exhibitions this summer, like What a Joy to be a Sculptor (until Sep 11th) and Swedish Grace (until Aug 28th).
What a Joy to be a Sculptor at Nationalmuseum
Photo by Anna Danielsson/Nationalmuseum
- Modernamuseet (modern art)- like the National Museum, their permanent collection always has free admission. Their temporary exhibitions this summer include Swedish Acquisitions (until Aug 14th), Björn Lövin (until Sep 18th) and the upcoming Jeppe Heim (May 21st to Aug 28th).
- ArkDes (architecture & design)- they have an ongoing exhibition about the architect Sigurd Lewerentz (until Aug 28th) as well as an upcoming summer exhibition called Utomhusverket 2022 (June 4th to Sep 18th).
- Artipelag (art in archipelago setting)- besides their permanent Sculpture in Nature exhibit, they will be celebrating their 10th anniversary with a large indoor summer exhibition with the work of Anselm Kiefer (June 4th to Jan 8th, 2023).
- Thielska Galleriet (Scandinavian fine art)- they have a wonderful collection of Scandinavian masters (like Zorn, Larsson, Jansson, Munch and more) as well as the ongoing exhibition A Home (until Aug 21st) and the upcoming exhibition on the painter Akke Kumlien (June 11th to Nov 6th).
Part of the collection at Thielska Galleriet
- Prins Eugen Waldemarsudde (Scandinavian fine art)- also a museum with a great permanent collection as well as sculpture garden. Their temporary exhibitions include Hugo Alfvén (until Oct 16th), Ann Wolff (until Oct 2nd) and Light Over Sea and Land (May 14th to March 2023).
- Liljevalchs (contemporary art)- newly renovated and expanded... several great exhibitions this summer, including Observations (until Sep 4th), Spring Salon 100 Years (until Aug 21st) and Julia Peirone (June 3rd to Sep 4th).
- Bonniers Konsthall (contemporary art)- Hrair Sarkissian is being shown until June 19th. Their summer exhibitions have not been announced as I write this. But keep an eye on their website to see what they have planned this summer.
- Sven-Harrys Konstmuseum (mixed art)- their summer exhibition is Humanitet (until Sep 11th). Don't miss a visit to the replica of Sven-Harry's home (with art collection) on the roof as well as rooftop terrace when you are there.
Anton Alvarez at Millesgården
Photo by Carl Kleiner @Studio Kleiner
- Millesgården (sculpture & mixed art)- the main reason people visit Millesgården (at least the first time) is to visit the lovely sculpture gardens featuring the work of Carl Milles. But they also have an indoor venue and this summer they will be exhibiting the art of both Madame d'Ora (until Sep 4th) and Anton Alvarez (May 21st to Sep 25th).
- Spritmuseum (spirits/adult beverages)- Their current art exhibition is Pierre et Gilles - Troubled Waters (until Sep 8th). Click here to read about my recent visit.
|Pierre et Gilles - Troubled Waters at Spritmuseum|
Photo by Jonas Lindström
These are the top art museums in the city, but there are many other smaller art museums and galleries in Stockholm... like at the gallery district. Otherwise, if you are staying at the Hotel Rival, stop by and ask us for more options and recommendations.