Fotografiska- new photography museum!


Stockholm has a new museum! Yesterday I went to the premiere of Fotografiska, Stockholm's museum of photography. It's located in a beautiful old brick building on the waterfront (Stadsgårdskajen). It's great that the city has a new prestigious museum and I really enjoyed the exhibitions... but then again, I'm a sucker for amazing photography. The museum is starting out with four exhibitions lasting through the summer. Vee Speer's portraits of children dressed up for a party, Joel-Peter Witkin's provocative and often disturbing pictures focusing on the human body, Lennart Nilsson's ground breaking photos (from the 60's) of a baby in the womb... from conception to birth, and the great Annie Leibowitz. The last named exhibition is an ecclectic mix of the photographer's work over the past 20 years. A mix of celebrity portraits and family snapshots. I think the museum did a good job in chosing four such different photographers for their opening season.
The gift shop looks really good as well... filled to the brim with all types of photography books. I couldn't peruse as much as I wanted to as Lennart Nilsson was having a book signing when I was there, but I'll be back!
On the top floor there is a café. They didn't have much to offer food & drink-wise, but I think that is just temporary and that they have grander plans for the future. At any rate... some of the best views this city has to offer!
Open every day from 10am to 9pm. 95 SEK entrance fee for adults, 70 SEK for seniors and students and children 12 and younger get in for free.

To get there: from Slussen (subway/bus station) it is an easy 10-15 minute walk along the waterfront heading east past the Birka Cruise terminal.

Comments

Popular Posts