Revisiting the Restaurant Sturehof

Sturehof as seen from Stureplan square.
I have never written a second review for a restaurant, however I was at Sturehof, a favorite restaurant, yesterday evening and realized that the blog article I wrote for Sturehof is 6 years old... back from when I first started writing this blog. Definitely time for a revisit!
Waitstaff in action. Photo by Håkan Elofsson.
Sturehof is one of those classic Stockholm restaurants. In fact, the restaurant can trace its history back to 1897 and has become one of those restaurants just about every Stockholmer has visited at least once or twice. I believe most cities have a restaurant like this. Its location right on the trendy square Stureplan helps with the restaurant's popularity. I don't think a year of my adult life in Stockholm has passed without visiting Sturehof once... whether for dinner, lunch or just drinks.
Our appetizers: oysters and löjrom.
The cuisine is mostly Swedish or Scandinavian and concentrates mainly on seafood, though they do have meat and vegetarian dishes. Sturehof was actually awarded Stockholm's best seafood restaurant in this year's prestigious White Guide. My friend and I stuck to seafood during our dinner. For appetizers we shared a few oysters as well as my go-to dish: Kalix löjrom toast (bleak roe).
Butter fried perch with stewed chantarelles.
For our main courses, my friend opted for the butter fried perch with stewed chantarelles and I took the classic assorted herring plate (capers & horseradish herring, matjes herring and the restaurant's own pickled herring). Yum, yum, yum! We sat on their outdoor terrace which is a great place for people watching during the summer months. You can't book the outdoor tables, just indoor, but you can do what we did... go a little earlier, have a drink in the bar and put your name on the list. Sturehof recently opened an indoor food market with casual restaurant next door called Stockholm's Matmarknad which is also worth a visit.
Assorted herring plate.
Their bar(s) are very popular... especially on the weekend when Stockholmers often meet up at Sturehof for drinks before heading to one of the nearby Stureplan nightclubs. You can book your table online at their website or, if you are staying at the Rival Hotel, contact me directly for help. Click here to see my other restaurant reviews.
Interior, photo by Håkan Elofsson

Comments

Popular Posts