Free Museums in Stockholm!
|Entrance to the Natural History Museum.|
|Interior at the Mediterranean Museum.|
- Armémuseum (The Army Museum)- a look at Sweden's military past and peace keeping present.
- Etnografiska museet (Museum of Ethnography)- dedicated to cultures and peoples of the world.
- Hallwylska museet- art and history museum located in a palace from the late 1800's owned by von Hallwyl family.
- Historiska museet (Swedish History Museum)- focused on the history of Sweden... including the Viking era.
- Kungliga myntkabinettet (The Royal Coin Cabinet)- museum of economy as well as the history of money and finance.
- Livrustkammaren (The Royal Armoury)- a look at Swedish royal history through their clothing, costumes, armour and carriages.
- Medelhavsmuseet (Mediterranean Museum)- dedicated to the history and culture of the Mediterranean area (Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc.).
- Medeltidsmuseet (Museum of Medieval History)- how did Stockholm look in the Middle Ages? What was life like for Medieval Stockholmers? Actually not state run (run by the city), but still free entrance as of January 1st.
- Moderna museet- Stockholm's museum of modern art.
- Nationalmuseum (the National Museum)- Sweden's museum of art and design. Currently closed for renovations, they have temporary exhibits at Konstakademien (Royal Academy of Fine Arts).
- Naturhistoriska riksmuseet (Museum of Natural History)- a look at the history of the natural world from dinosaurs to today. Entrance fee still for their IMAX theatre Cosmonova.
- Sjöhistoriska museet (Maritime Museum)- dedicated to naval and shipping history.
- Centrum för Arkitektur och Design- The Stockholm center for architecture and design.
- Östasiatiska museet (Museum of Far East Antiquities)- houses art and sculpture from the Far East (Japan, China, Korea, etc.).
|Wintery exterior of the moderna art museum (Moderna)|
Some of these museums have already started with free entrance while others are waiting until February 1st. Visiting Stockholm in January? Check the museums' websites (linked above) to see if they have started with free entrance or not. Or if you are staying at the Rival Hotel, contact me directly for further information.