Autumn Art Exhibitions
After writing about autumn sightseeing options, I guess I should also write about all the different art museum exhibitions this coming season! Stockholm has a large amount of museums (80+) covering all types of subjects like art, science, history, sports, theatre and culture. This list will cover exhibitions at art museums... click here if you want a list with description over the top history museums in Stockholm.
|Nick Cave, London 1996. Copyright Anton Corbijn. Fotografiska.|
- Fotografiska (photography)- "Anton Corbijn 1-2-3-4" (Sept 16th to Dec 4th), "Helene Schmitz- Transitions" (until Nov 13th), "The Autumn Salon" (Sept 30th to Nov 20th) and more! Generous opening hours, great location and restaurant as well.
- Moderna (modern art)- besides their permanent Collection, always with free admission, they have quite a few temporary exhibitions every season: "Comparative Vandalism" (until Feb 19th, 2017), "The New Human" (until March 5th, 2017), "Objects and Bodies at Rest and in Motion" (until Oct 23rd) and more.
Moderna Museet Stockholm, front, autumn © Photo: Moderna Museet/Åsa Lundén
- Millesgården (art & sculpture)- here you can visit sculptor Carl Milles' home, studio and gorgeous sculpture garden (my recent visit), as well as a museum with temporary exhibitions. Up next: Tove Jansson (Oct 22nd to Jan 22nd, 2017).
- National Museum (classic art and design)- this museum is currenly closed for renovations (opens again in 2018). In the meantime they have temporary exhibitions at Kulturhuset Stadsteatern: "Embodied. Ongoing Craft at the Fringe" (until Jan 15th, 2017).
Emma Linde, In på bara benen, 2008, detail. Photo Emma Linde. Kulturhuset.
© All rights reserved
- Thielska Galleriet (classic art)- besides the great Thielska Collection with many Scandinavian artists, they have temporary exhibitions. This coming season: Maria Adlercreutz (Oct 8th to Feb 5th, 2017).
- Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde (classic art)- the home and art collection of Prince Eugen, also with temporary exhibitions. This season: "Salon painting?!" (until Jan 22nd, 2017) and "Cecilia Edefalk - Dandelion" (Oct 15th to Feb 12th, 2017).
The drawing room at Waldemarsudde. Photo by Lars Engelhardt.
- Liljevalchs (art)- closed for renovations, opens again in January 2017.
- Bonniers Konsthall (contemporary art)- "Insomnia" (Sept 24th to Jan 22nd, 2017).
- Sven Harry's Konstmuseum (classic & contemporary art)- home (replica) and collection of Sven-Harry Karlsson. This season's temporary exhibitions: "Porphyry- the Royal Stone" (Sept 28th to Nov 27th) and "Mia E Göransson- Ceramics" (Sept 28th to Nov 27th).
Candelabras in Porphyry for three candles. Photo by Per Myrehed.