Christmas Markets in Stockholm 2018
|Christmas market in Gamla Stan|
Photo by Jeppe Wikström/
- Gamla Stan- Stockholm's most famous and popular Christmas market. In fact, it was named by the Telegraph as one of Europe's top 16 Christmas markets. Very traditional; I am sure it owes its popularity to its central location (15 minute walk from the Rival Hotel), historic atmposphere and generous opening hours. It is open daily between 11am and 6pm from November 24th through December 23rd.
- Skansen- an historic market located in this open-air museum dedicated to Swedish traditions and pastoral life. Open between 10am and 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays (Nov 24th to Dec 16th). See how Christmas was celebrated in Sweden 100+ years ago!
- Konstfack- (College of Arts, Craft & Design)- Creative market put on by the students one weekend every year. Open between 10am and 5pm on December 1st & 2nd. Located in the southern suburbs.
Christmas market in Gamla Stan
Photo by Henrik Trygg/
- Kungliga Hovstallet- (The Royal Stables)- Combine a visit to the stables with some traditional Christmas shopping. Open between November 30th and December 2nd (Fri- noon to 7pm, Sat- 10am to 6pm, Sun- 10am to 5pm). The stables are located in the downtown area.
- Bondens Egen Julmarknad- (Farmers' Christmas Market)- in the weeks leading up to Christmas, this popular farmers' market, located in SoFo, turns into a Christmas market. Laid back and local. Open between 10am and 3pm on the four Saturdays before Christmas (with start on Dec 1st).
- Beckmans College of Design- An annual popular market put on by the design & fashion students. Location. Open on Saturday and Sunday, Dec 8th & 9th, between 10am and 5pm.
- Långholmens Julmarknad- for the second year in a row, they are holding a traditional Christmas market on the island of Långholmen (in the historic, former prison!). Open between 10am and 4pm on Dec 1st and 2nd.
|Christmas decorations at Skansen's market.|
Photo by: Maria Johansson/Skansen
- Drottningholm- Royal palace, home of the royal family and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which has an annual Christmas market. Open Saturday Dec 8th (10am to 5pm) and Sunday Dec 9th (10am to 4pm). Location.
- Steninge Slott- Castle located near the town of Märsta. They have a popular indoor market with design and gardening boutiques, which turns into a daily Christmas market between November 10th and December 23rd (11am to 6pm weekdays, 10am to 5pm weekends).
- Sigtuna- the capital of Sweden before Stockholm took over in the 1200's. Location. Traditional market open on four Sundays (11am to 4pm) leading up to Christmas, with start Nov 25th.
|Market at Beckmans Designhögskola|