Activities for Children
|Photo: Henrik Trygg, Stockholm's Visitors Board|
If animals (whether wild, tame or even extinct are of interest) then you have quite a lot to choose from:
- Skansen- not only an outdoor cultural museum and park, it is a zoo with both Nordic animals (moose, reindeer, wolves, bears, etc;), exotic animals and a petting zoo. A good time to visit is in the early afternoon during feeding time. There are also daily activities for children in their calendar. Open year-round.
- Aquaria- The Stockholm Aquarium. On the small side, this aquarium is just a stone's throw from Skansen and here you will find aquatic life from Nordic, tropical and rain forest environments. Open year-round.
- The Butterfly House & Shark Tank- an indoor tropical rainforest located in the Haga Park. Besides hundreds of butterflies, you will find birds, fish, insects and tropical frogs. And sharks! Open year-round.
- Kolmården- Scandinavia's largest wildlife park located south of Stockholm with several attractions like Marine World, Safari and Tiger World. It is an hour and a half trip by car or train, so plan for a full day. It is open during the warmer months as well as weekends and during special weeks when children are off from school.
- Junibacken- Indoor amusement park based on the writings of Astrid Lindgren (Pippi Longstocking, Karlsson on the Roof, the Brothers Lionheart, etc;). Rides, story-telling, shows and play areas. Open year-round.
|Entrance to Junibacken...|