|Gamla Stan's Christmas market.|
|The Bakery boys at Skansen, photo by Marie Andersson.|
- Gamla Stan (old town)- the grand dame of Christmas markets. Traditional with historic atmosphere and centrally located. Recently named one of the top ten markets in Europe by The Telegraph. Open daily (11am to 6pm) between Nov 21st and Dec 23rd. Only a 15 minute walk from the Rival Hotel!
- Kungsträdgården- another popular market! Their central location near the NK department store, downtown shopping district and outdoor ice skating rink make this a season must. Open daily (11am to 6pm) between Nov 27th and Dec 22nd.
- Skansen- take a journey back in time and visit a Christmas market as they were 100+ years ago. Skansen, located on Djurgården, is an open air museum of Swedish traditions as well as the city's zoo. Open Saturdays and Sundays (10am to 4pm) from Nov 28th to Dec 20th.
|Traditional holiday ornaments/decorations for sale...|
- Konstfack- College of Arts, Craft & Design. Creative Christmas market put on by the students. Saturday and Sunday, Nov 28th & 29th (10am to 5pm). Located in the suburb of Telefonplan.
- Royal Stables (Kungliga Hovstallet)- Combine a visit to the Royal Stables with some traditional Christmas shopping. Location. Friday, Nov 27th (noon to 7pm), Saturday, Nov 28th (10am to 6pm) and Sun, Nov 29th (10am to 5pm).
- Farmers' Christmas Market (Bondens Egen Marknad)- in the weeks leading up to Christmas, this popular farmers' market in SoFo turns into a Christmas market. Laid back and local. Four Saturdays before Christmas with start on Nov 28th (10am to 3pm).
- Beckmans- this College of Design has a popular annual Christmas market put on by the students. Location. Saturday & Sunday, Dec 12th & 13th (11am to 5pm).
There are also a few good Christmas markets just outside the city which are well worth a visit!
- Sigtuna- The capital of Sweden before Stockholm was founded. Location. Traditional Christmas market on the four Sundays leading up to Christmas (11am to 4pm) with start Nov 29th.
- Drottningholm Palace- Royal palace, home of the royal family and UNESCO World Heritage site that has an annual Christmas market. Location. Saturday, Dec 5th and Sunday, Dec 6th (11am to 4pm).
- Steninge Slott- Castle located outside the town of Märsta. Daily Christmas market from Nov 14th to Dec 23rd (weekdays 11am to 6pm and weekends 10am to 5pm).
- Vaxholm- called the capital of the Stockholm archipelago (location), this town has a Christmas market every year put on by the Lions' Club. Two weekends: Dec 5th & 6th and Dec 12th & 13th (11am to 4pm).
- Utö- an island located in the southern archipelago. Two weekends: Dec 5th & 6th and Dec 12th & 13th. A bit difficult to get to, Strömma offers a package trip by boat including traditional Swedish Christmas meal (julbord) onboard. However, as I write this, the package trips are almost fully booked! They do also have many other julbord lunch/dinner cruises to choose from throughout the holiday season.
|Skansen Christmas Market, photo by Marie Andersson.|