|Moki Cherry, Brown Rice, 1975 © Moki Cherry. Photo: Prallan Allsten/Moderna Museet|
- Moderna (modern art)- the exhibition "Moment - Moki Cherry" recently opened and will run until October. Another current exhibition that will be showing all summer is "Objects and Bodies at Rest and in Motion" (until October 23rd). Don't miss their permanent collection as well. But the big summer exhibition is Yayoi Kusama "In Infinity" (June 11th to September 11th).
- Fotografiska (photography)- the fantastic "Ikoner- an exhibition about the right to exist" is running until June 5th. The big summer exhibitions will be "Nick Brandt: Inherit the Dust" (May 20th to September 11th) and "The Image of Garbo" (June 23rd to August 21st) which both look great.
Eugène Jansson, Self portrait. From the Nationalmuseum collection.
- Nationalmuseum (classic art)- currently closed for extensive renovations. During this time they have temporary exhibitions at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts (Konstakademien). The current exhibition is "The Artist" which is being shown until September 4th.
- ArkDes (architecture & design)- the current exhibition is "Stay. Now. Then: Housing Questions & Answers for 99 Years" Shown until January 8th, 2017.
- Millesgården (art museum & sculpture garden)- "Swedish Contemporary Glass Art" is the current exhibition, closing on May 8th. The big summer exhibition is "Josef Frank: Patterns, Furniture, Paintings" (May 21st to October 2nd). Don't miss their beautiful sculputre gardens with the work of Carl Milles!
Sculpture garden at Millesgården.
- Thielska Gallery (art museum)- the private collection is worth a visit, otherwise they have temporary exhibitions as well. Currently they are showing "Anywhere out of the World" (until June 5th) and their main summer exhibition is "Carl Kylberg: with the color beyond the surface" (June 18th to September 25th).
- Prins Eugen's Waldemarsudde (art museum & gallery)- view Prince Eugen's art collection or see one of the temporary exhibitions. "Magic Light" is the main exhibition; running through the summer (until August 28th).
- Liljevalchs (art gallery)- closes this spring for a year long renovation.
- Bonniers Konsthall (art gallery)- reopening this spring after being closed for renovations. The first exhibition is celebrating 30 years since the founding of the Maria Bonnier Dahlin Foundation: "Collected Works!" (May 22nd to August 28th).
- Sven-Harry's Konstmuseum (art museum)- "Swedish Art: Now!" is being shown between April 20th and June 6th, followed by "Stockholm by Artists" (June 16th to September 18th).
|"Composition from Kastellholmen in Stockholm" by Bo von Zweibergk 1921, oil on canvas (Sven-Harry's Kosntmuseum)|
Photo: Uppsala Auktionskammare
These are just the main art museums and galleries and there are, of course, many smaller ones. If you are staying at the Rival Hotel, contact me directly for more information regarding smaller galleries as well as further information about the museums/exhibitions listed above.