Stockholm Christmas Markets 2016
- Gamla Stan- Stockholm's most famous and popular Christmas market. In fact it was recently named by the Telegraph as one of Europe's top 16 Christmas markets. Very traditional; I am sure it owes its popularity to its central location (15 minute walk from the Rival Hotel) and generous opening hours. It is open daily between 11am and 6pm from November 19th through December 23rd.
- Skansen- an historic market located in this open-air museum dedicated to Swedish traditions and pastoral life. Open between 10am and 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays (Nov 26th to Dec 18th). See how Christmas was celebrated in Sweden 100+ years ago!
- Konstfack (College of Arts, Craft & Design)- Creative market put on by the students one weekend every year. Open between 10am and 5pm on November 26th & 27th. Located in the southern suburbs.
- Kungliga Hovstallet (The Royal Stables)- Combine a visit to the stables with some traditional Christmas shopping. Open between November 25th and 27th (Fri- noon to 7pm, Sat- 10am to 6pm, Sun- 10am to 5pm). The stables are located in the downtown area.
- Bondens Egen Julmarknad (Farmers' Christmas Market)- in the weeks leading up to Christmas, this popular farmers' market, located in SoFo, turns into a Christmas market. Laid back and local. Open between 10am and 3pm on the four Saturdays before Christmas (with start on Nov 26th).
- Beckmans College of Design- An annual popular market put on by the students. Location. Open on Saturday and Sunday, Dec 10th & 11th, between 10am and 5pm.
There are also a few good Christmas markets located just outside of the city and worth a visit.
- Sigtuna- the capital of Sweden before Stockholm took over in the 1200's. Location. Traditional market open on the four Sundays (11am to 4pm) leading up to Christmas, with start Nov 27th.
- Drottningholm- Royal palace, home of the royal family and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which has an annual Christmas market. Open Saturday Dec 5th (10am to 5pm) and Sunday Dec 6th (10am to 4pm). Location.
- Steninge Slott- Castle located near the town of Märsta. They have a popular indoor market with design and gardening boutiques, which turns into a daily Christmas market between November 12th and December 23rd (11am to 6pm weekdays, 10am to 5pm weekends).