Christmas Markets 2017
Christmas season and soon the Christmas markets will start opening for business. The first one opens in less than two weeks from today. There are a wide variety of markets to choose from... from the traditional to the more modern. Some are open every day, some only on the weekends while others are just open for a couple of days. This means that you will be able to visit at least one Christmas market if you are visiting Stockholm any time starting on November 18th. But... the last day to visit any market is December 23rd! There are no Christmas markets open after that... like on Christmas Eve or Day for example (a disappointment for some visitors).
- Gamla Stan- Stockholm's most famous and popular Christmas market. In fact it was recently named by the Telegraph as one of Europe's top 16 Christmas markets. Very traditional; I am sure it owes its popularity to its central location (15 minute walk from the Rival Hotel) and generous opening hours. It is open daily between 11am and 6pm from December 2nd through the 23rd.
- Skansen- an historic market located in this open-air museum dedicated to Swedish traditions and pastoral life. Open between 10am and 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays (Nov 25th to Dec 17th). See how Christmas was celebrated in Sweden 100+ years ago!
- Konstfack (College of Arts, Craft & Design)- Creative market put on by the students one weekend every year. Open between 10am and 5pm on December 2nd & 3rd. Located in the southern suburbs.
- Kungliga Hovstallet (The Royal Stables)- Combine a visit to the stables with some traditional Christmas shopping. Open between December 1st and 3rd (Fri- noon to 7pm, Sat- 10am to 6pm, Sun- 10am to 5pm). The stables are located in the downtown area.
- Bondens Egen Julmarknad (Farmers' Christmas Market)- in the weeks leading up to Christmas, this popular farmers' market, located in SoFo, turns into a Christmas market. Laid back and local. Open between 10am and 3pm on the four Saturdays before Christmas (with start on Nov 25th).
- Beckmans College of Design- An annual popular market put on by the design & fashion students. Location. Open on Saturday and Sunday, Dec 9th & 10th, between 10am and 5pm.
There are also a few good Christmas markets located just outside of the city and worth a visit as well.
- Sigtuna- the capital of Sweden before Stockholm took over in the 1200's. Location. Traditional market open on the four Sundays (11am to 4pm) leading up to Christmas, with start Nov 26th.
- Drottningholm- Royal palace, home of the royal family and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which has an annual Christmas market. Open Saturday Dec 9th (10am to 5pm) and Sunday Dec 10th (10am to 4pm). Location.
- Steninge Slott- Castle located near the town of Märsta. They have a popular indoor market with design and gardening boutiques, which turns into a daily Christmas market between November 18th and December 23rd (11am to 6pm weekdays, 10am to 5pm weekends).
These are the major annual Christmas markets. If I find any new Christmas markets, I will be sure to add them to the list!