Autumn Art Exhibitions 2018
|The National Museum re-opening on Oct 13th!|
Photo by Hans Thorwid/Nationalmuseum
- Fotografiska (photography)- there are a couple of exhibitions going on through September: Evelyn Bencicova "Merror" (until Sept 23rd) and Simen Johan "Until the Kingdom Comes" (until Sept 23rd). Two upcoming exhibitions are Noémie Goudal "Stations" (Sept 7th to Nov 18th) and Lars Tunbjörk "A Look From the Side" (Sept 14th to Dec 2nd). Considering the exhibit space, I am guessing that there will be two other exhibitions starting in October. I will add when they are announced.
Photo from Andy Warhol's first exhibit at Moderna in 1968
Photo: Moderna Museet
- Moderna (modern art)- their big fall exhibition, which I am really looking forward to, is Warhol 1968 (Sept 15th to Feb 17th) which celebrates the fact that Andy Warhol had his first solo exhibition in Europe at Moderna, 50 years ago! Another upcoming exhibition is Moderna Exhibition 2018 (Oct 20th to Jan 6th).
- ArkDes (architecture & design)- their ongoing exhibition is Public Luxury (until Jan 13th) and their upcoming exhibition is called Space Popular, Value in the Virtual (Sept 19th to Nov 18th). They also have a permanent exhibit on Architecture in Sweden.
- Millesgården (sculpture & art)- Most people come to visit the beautiful sculpture garden, but they also have a gallery with temporary exhibitions. Their upcoming exhibition is William Morris "More than Floral Wallpaper" (Sept 15th to Feb 3rd).
- National (classic art)- the big news is that they are finally reopening on October 13th after several years of being closed for renovations! The big opening exhibition will be John Singer Sargent (until Jan 13th). Looking forward to their reopening...
Le baiser de l'hôtel de ville, Paris 1950
Photo: Robert Doisneau © Atelier Robert Doisneau at Kulturhuset
- Kulturhuset (mixed art)- home to multiple forms of culture, including some art galleries. One exhibition this season is of the photographer Robert Doisneau (Sept 7th to Nov 25th).
- Thielska Galleriet (fine art Scandinavian)- they have several current exhibitions through September. An upcoming exhibition this season is of the work of Swedish painter Ivan Aguéli (Oct 6th to Feb 10th ).
- Artipelag (art museum in archipelago setting)- their outdoor exhibition Detour is running until Nov 4th and in the gallery you have Bloomsbury Spirit running until Sept 30th. The new exhibit this fall is Margiela- the Hermès Years (Oct 26th to March 10th).
- Prins Eugen Waldemarsudde (fine art Scandinavian)- besides their permanent collection, they have several exhibitions this fall like Paula Modersohn-Becker and the Worpswede Artists' Colony (Sept 15th to Jan 27th), Helene Scmitz- Thinking Like a Mountan (Oct 6th to Feb 17th) and The Painter as a Photographer (Oct 6th to Feb 17th).
The Traitor by Georgij & Vladimir Stenberg, 1929
- Liljevalchs (contemporary art)- their main autumn exhibition will be looking at Soviet poster art (Oct 12th to Jan 6th).
- Bonniers Konsthall (contemporary art)- they are reopening after being closed over the summer with their fall exhibition New Materialism (Sept 5th to Nov 11th).
- Sven-Harrys Konstmuseum (mixed art)- their first exhibition out is "Pillow Talk" by Ulla & Gustav Kraitz (Aug 29th to Oct 14th). Don't miss their upcoming exhibition with Swedish artist Jenny Nyström (Oct 26th to Feb 17th).
- Etnografiska (world culture)- They have an interesting exhibition this autumn that can fall under art... Feathers which looks at how we have used feathers throughout history in art, culture and fashion (Oct 6th to March 3rd).
Portrait of Dagmar Assarsson, by Jenny Nyström
Photo by Per Myrehed