I am a firm believer of doing some research before travelling to a new place. I always think it's good to know a little bit about the history, geography, language, traditions and cuisine of a place before getting there... makes the visit much more enjoyable. I also feel that it helps to know what there is to see/do beforehand, so I don't have to waste time figuring it out during my visit. Thanks to the internet, doing the research is free and easy. Here are some great websites, besides my world fabulous blog, to help you do some research before arriving in Stockholm... I use many of these websites in my day-to-day work.
- Stockholm Visitors Board's official site. Great overview!
- Destination Stockholm
- Visit Stockholm or, if you are travelling around Sweden: Visit Sweden
- The City of Stockholm's official website
- Trip Advisor read what other travellers think about the hotel, restaurants and attractions. Need advice? Check their forum.
- What's Up Stockholm good site on what is happening in Stockholm. Unfortunately, they use Google Translate for the English version so it can cause a few laughs.
- WikiTravel's Stockholm page
- What's On Stockholm click on the British flag in the left hand corner.
- Sweden.se The "official gateway to Sweden". Lots of quick facts.
- Arlanda International Airport's webpage.
The Rival Hotel has two pages, one for the Bistro and one for the hotel itself. Click on "like" and you can get updates of things going on at the hotel as well as special offers. Another good Facebook page is the one belonging to Visit Stockholm:
- Google Maps Good for zooming in and out.
- Map of Stockholm in pdf format.
- Map of Sweden in pdf format.
- Stockholm subway system in pdf format.
- Dagens Nyheter One of Sweden's leading newspapers. Their supplement (På Stan) on happenings in the city.
- Allt om Stockholm The newspaper Aftonbladet's version...
- What's Up Stockholm Entertainment guide to the city (Google translate available for website).
For more helpful tips, click here!