Summer Art Museum Exhibitions 2017
|Marie-Louise Ekman, Väntsal, 1971 © Marie-Louise Ekman|
at Moderna museet
- Fotografiska (photography)- their three summer exhibitions are Berning & Di Battista "Confluence" (June 2nd to August 27th), Akseli Valmunen "The Same New Pet" (May 31st to August 27th) and "Like a Horse" (May 19th to September 3rd).
- Moderna (modern art)- several ongoing exhibitions, see my earlier article. Their big summer exhibition is Marie-Louise Ekman (June 17th to September 17th). Don't miss their permanent collection (with free admission) as well.
Kent Ulbberg, Cheetah,
Photo: Lars Jonsson
- Millesgården (art & sculpture)- most people go there to see Carl Mille's wonderful sculpture garden, but they have exhibitions as well. This summer they are showing Lars Jonsson and Kent Ullberg, paintings & sculpture (June 1st to October 8th).
- National Museum (art & design)- currently closed for renovations, reopening in 2018. In the meantime they have temporary exhibitions at Kulturhuset, like 100 Years of Finnish Design (June 20th to October 29th).
- Thielska Galleriet (fine art, Scandinavian)- two upcoming exhibitions this summer: "Moments, Sculptures by Karin Wiberg " (June 1st to October 1st) and "Fashionable Memories, Clothes from Tove Lewenhaupt's Collection" (June 17th to October 1st). Great collection of Scandinavian Masters on exhibit as well.
- Artipelag (art museum in archipelago setting)- their major summer exhibition is "Edmund de Waal / Giorgio Morandi" (until October 1st). Half the pleasure is enjoying the art in the beautiful setting. During the peak summer season they have boats between the city and the museum.
Morandi / Edmund de Waal at Artipelag
Photo: Jean-Baptiste Béranger.
- Prins Eugen's Waldemarsudde (fine art)- their summer exhibitions are "Anja Notini- Rooms with Gravitation" (June 10th to September 24th) and "Nordic Art 1880 to 1940, Highlights from Price Eugen's Collection" (June 22nd to August 27th). Click here to read more about current and upcoming exhibitions.
- Liljevalchs Konsthall (contemporary art)- they have been closed for the past year due to renovations and will be reopening this fall, but this summer they are showing a photography exhibiiton in the Army Museum's yard: "Focus on Finland, 3 x Aho and Soldan" (June 10th to September 10th).
- Bonniers Konsthall (contemporary art)- their main summer exhibition is "Another Side of the Shift" (May 31st to August 20th), a look at the shift in the Swedish art scene during the 1980's.
- Sven-Harry's Konstmuseum (mixed art)- I am excited to go and see their current exhibition on Swedish master artist Anders Zorn (until August 13th). In cooperation with the Zorn Museum in Mora. You can also visit Sven-Harry's home there with his private collection.
Cigarettrökerskan- Anders Zorn, 1892.
Photo: Christies, New-York